Construction is the world’s largest and most challenging industry. It is a key sector of the national economy for countries all around the world. It takes up a big portion of the nation’s employment and it significantly contributes to our nation’s revenue.
However, the construction industry is still facing a number of problems regarding low productivity, substandard safety and poor quality. Productivity is the one of the most important factors that affects the overall performance of any small, medium, or large construction industry company. There are a number of factors that directly affects the productivity of labor, so it is important for any company to identify those factors and take appropriate actions to improve the labor productivity.
Every year companies and contractors are hit with millions of dollars in construction claims and lawsuits as a result of many factors that impact their labor. For example, there are several factors that affect labor productivity losses during the development of construction projects:
- The weather is a significant cause of lost productivity when performing work in a change of season, temperature zone, or climate change which can result in work being performed in either very hot or cold weather, rain or snow, or other changes in temperature or climate that can impact workers beyond normal conditions.
- Crowding and stacking of trades can impact by having multiple contractors working in an area that was not otherwise anticipated. It can have a significant impact when work takes place within physically limited space with other contractors, which can result in safety hazards, congestion of personnel, and an increase of visitors.
- The lack of skilled labor has a direct impact on the schedule, many times causing the contractor to implement alternatives that seek ways to accelerate their work to overcome and compensate delays, ensuring the maintenance of a steady workforce. It’s been proved how difficult it is to recover additional compensation and quality time due to the unavailability of manpower; therefore it’s a must to develop a sound strategy to deal with skilled labor.
- The morale and attitude of workers can be based on the willingness, confidence, discipline, and cheerfulness to perform work or tasks which can be lowered due to a variety of issues, such as increased conflicts, disputes, overtime, over-inspection, poor site conditions, excessive hazards, unkempt workspace, multiple contract changes, and so on.
- Scheduled overtime work can have an unfavorable impact on productivity. When scheduling extended work days or weeks that exceeds a standard eight-hour work day or 40 hour work week can lower work output and efficiency through physical fatigue and poor mental attitude.
At Pangea we are determined to have the right project management team in place; a group of professionals with a good sense of anticipation and great planning skills to master execution, ensuring operational and business compliance that mitigates the possibility of occurrence of lack of productivity, delays and cost efficiencies. We encourage you to check out our website www.pangeasite.com to learn more.